Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Modifying Header / Steady Rest Supports


I was never really satisfied with the way the steady rests were designed into these headers. But Stan at FPT convinced me early on his design was fail safe. 
But after I rebuilt my engine it was making a lot more hp and I still wondered when something might break from the stress.
I also got some comments from others after they have seen the setup AND a lot of questions. 

I want to add that I have never had a problem with this setup.

Steve Metzger AZ28 pointed out a easy fix for one point of stress and so I had to try it so I could sleep a little better. I got several other suggestions from others on y-blocksforever.com
If you have a yblock powered car you have to go there and check it out. Good bunch of people. 

This redo takes the stress off the side loaded heim and makes it an axial load. I also added a urethane washer on one side of each rod to firm things up a bit. This replaces the male heim joint with a female and shortens and rethreads the rods. You will lose some adjustability, so be careful that your application will be able to level the engine properly with what you end up with.

One bonus from this setup is the headers are a little easier to install than before.








No comments:

Post a Comment